PATIENT INFORMATION: Hard Tissue / Bone – Implants
What … for? (Indications)
Hard tissue implants serve as replacement of bone or cartilage for deficits after injury, removal of tumor, degradation or special bone diseases (for special anatomic substitutes: see there, e.g. oral bone substitutes)
n/a (many different applications)
Healing times have great variations dependent on the size of the defect and the used technique
- behavioral: n/a
- medical: Infectious diseases, comorbidities precluding the expected benefit, frailty, procedure specific impediments.
- during surgery: n/a
- during surgery: Impracticability (e.g. inability to pass through), problems with general anesthesia.
Inflammation, repulsion, injury of adjoining structures.
- long term: Loosening, dislocation, osteolysis, chronic inflammation, chronic pain, systemic influence.
- restrictions: Depending from defect grade, control regiment.
n/a, too many varieties
Same individual: Core drilling, Block resection Transplantation, Scraping
Special techniques: Same individual: Bone collected in cultures, Distraction osteogenesis
Twins (no reports)
Same species (human): Granules, Blocks
Different species: Granules, Blocks
Bone-morphogenetic proteines (Gentech)
anorganic: TCP (Tricalciumphosphat), HA (Hydroxyapatite) a.o.
n/a, too many varieties
- Bone graft substitutes currently available in orthopaedic practice. The evidence for their use. T. Kurien, R. G. Pearson, B. E. Scammell, Bone Joint J 2013;95-B:583–97.
- Orthopaedic applications of bone graft & graft substitutes: a review. SK Nandi, S Roy, P Mukherjee, B Kundu, DK De, D Basu, Indian J Med Res 132, July 2010, pp 15-30
- The Kaiser Permanente Implant Registries: Effect on Patient Safety, Quality Improvement, Cost Effectiveness, and Research Opportunities. Paxton EW, Inacio MCS, Kiley M-L, Perm J. 2012 Spring; 16(2): 36–44.
n/a, single case reports
– Science/ future
3D-printed spine, gentech
n/a write a comment
Selected patient information
Registry for patients
- Be the match
- Bone marrow donors worldwide
- British bone marrow registry
- Helping Cristina
- Organ Transplant Association
The information and links and whatsoever shown on this page are compiled with care. However, Implant-Register can´t take any responsibility for the information given, nor their content, nor their up-to-date nature, particularly in interlinked pages. You may help us with your contribution, granting us the decision to publish or not. Be careful with conclusions for yourself, in doubt double-check and consider medical solutions are individual and have to be found with an educated medical person.