PATIENT INFORMATION: Soft Tissue Implants
What … for? (Indications)
Soft tissue implants serve to reconstruct surgically or traumatically created tissue voids, to restore bulk to aging tissues and to augment tissue for cosmetic enhancement.
(contour implants like breast implants and dental soft tissue replacement are not dealt in this chapter)
Numbers n/a (None specific. Look at the relevant specialties)
Healing times have great variations dependend on the size of the defect and the used technique. The effect may not be stable in the long run.
- short term: Inflammation, repulsion, injury of neighbouring structures, foreign body reactions, allergic reactions, rejection
- long term: Dislocation, chronic inflammation, chronic pain, systemic influence, foreign body reactions, nodularity.
Failures n/a, too many varieties
– Artificial, synthetic
- Solid silicone particles suspended in a polyvinylpyrrolidone (CHNO) carrier
- Microspheres of polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA)
- Suspension of Calcium hydroxyapatite (CaHA) in Glycerin and Saline
- Poly-L-lactid acid
- Expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (e-PFTE)
- Collagen fibrils (human)
- Collagen fibrils (bovine)
- Collagen fibrils (porcine)
- Hyaluronic acid gel
- Animal-derived HA with vinyl sulfone
- Plasma, porcine-derived gelatin and e-aminocaproic acid
– Homologous materials
- Homologous collagen dispersion
- Acellular dermal graft
– Autologous materials
- Cultured autologous fibroblasts
Statistics n/a (None specific. Look at the relevant specialties)
– about Problems n/a, single case reports
– Science/Future n/a
Registry for patients: You can register with us here (fee 15.00€/VAT).
or print a paper implant-passport here.
dealing with this subject are here.
You may also find some in the General Medical Society sector.
The information and links and whatsoever shown on this page are compiled with care. However, Implant-Register can´t take any responsibility for the information given, nor their content, nor their up-to-date nature, particularly in interlinked pages. You may help us with your contribution, granting us the decision to publish or not. Be careful with conclusions for yourself, in doubt double-check and consider medical solutions are individual and have to be found with an educated medical person.